For some reason my camera didn’t record that I used a very diluted lye/water mix AFTER applying the stain to make the wood appear a little darker. That’s why the cut to the polyurethane looked a little darker. It didn’t work as well as using lye directly on the cherry, but it helped a little when things weren’t looking right.
I’ve talked before about how I don’t have a lot of clothes, but I do like to accessorize what I have to keep it looking fresh. I ended up collecting a plethora of costume necklaces, and they all just got piled up on my dresser and looked like a huge mess. I started looking for something to hang them on, but anything I found just cost too much to justify buying. So in the meantime I started hanging all the necklaces on a clothes hanger in my closet just to keep them out of the way.
A few months of this went by, and my necklaces were still getting in a jumbled mess that I would have to pull apart every time I wanted to wear one.
Mike of course is very handy, but I am not. I decided I wanted to change that and asked him if he would help to teach me some wood working skills, and he was totally on board. I looked up a few pictures online and found an idea for a cabinet that I really liked on Ana White’s website (http://ana-white.com/2012/06/plans/wall-jewelry-cabinet). Mike liked it too, but made a few adjustments to it to make it our own.
Unfortunately, the day we selected to do this ended up being a bit busy. We had to squeeze the project into a two and a half hour window between teaching in the morning and a bridal shower in the afternoon. Mike was a total trooper and gathered all the supplies and tools needed and was ready to get to work as soon as I got there. The two and a half hours weren’t enough to get everything done, so Mike had to finish up the door to the cabinet after I left. Even though I didn’t get to do a ton of work, I really enjoyed helping Mike and learning the processes needed for a project like this.
And it also doesn’t hurt that I LOVE the finished product!